How to Join

Online at

Over the phone by calling us on 01384 444323 (or 5394 internal).

By filling in one of our forms:

Notes for filling in:

  • Please make sure to tick a box for your pay band, otherwise this will slow down your application as we need this information. 

Can I join your union?

To qualify for membership you'll need to be an employee of Dudley Council, a local school or college, or one of the local voluntary organisation we support.

If you work outside Dudley in Local Government you'll need to get in touch with the UNISON branch that covers your area.

Please note if you are in the middle of a disciplinary, we may not be able accept your application. If you are unsure if we are the right union for you, call our office on 233870.

How much does membership cost?

Membership costs are staggered depending on how much you earn, so low-paid workers will pay less than high-paid, which is only fair. You will select your pay band on our application form.

Use the table below to find out how much it will cost you:

Your annual payYour monthly subscription
Less than £2,000 £1.30
£2,001 - £5,000 £3.50
£5,001 - £8,000 £5.30
£8,001 - £11,000 £6.60
£11,001 - £14,000 £7.85
£14,001 - £17,000 £9.70
£17,001 - £20,000 £11.50
£20,001 - £25,000 £14
£25,001 - £30,000 £17.25
£30,001 - £35,000 £20.30
Over £35,000 £22.50

Students are entitled to UNISON membership for just £10 a year.

How do I pay?

There are two ways to pay for your union membership. You can have the money taken out of your wages as a deduction. We will contact your employer to request this.

Alternatively, you can pay by Direct Debit. Your Unison contributions will be taken from your nominated bank on a monthly basis. 

How long does it take to become a member?

As soon as we recieve your form your membership will begin providing you qualify, though it may take several days for the form to be entered and for you to get a membership number. After about 3 weeks, you should receive a membership pack from our regional office. This will include your membership card, as well as benefits to joining our union.

You will need to have been a member for at least 3 weeks to be entitled to free legal advice from our solicitors Thompsons.

How do I cancel my membership?

If you decide that you wish to cancel your membership, then please contact our office, either by email, letter, or phone stating your intention to cancel. We can lapse you on our system, which will immediately end your membership.

If you pay through salaries and are continuing your employment, we will ask you to contact your salaries department to stop your unison deductions. We cannot do this on your behalf, as they will need your authorisation.